Monday, February 1, 2010

Fish Finger Sandwiches


Welcome to our new blog! Our, you say? And isn't that fish? Coming from sweet-tempered, the lady who once upon a time wrote posts about vegan cake and pies? Then moved to London and tried to tell us about the food she was eating, but just couldn't manage to spit it out? Yep, that's me. While I've been skipping around London from kitchen to kitchen, managing my school course and errrr, not paying attention to my blog, I have found the one! Yes, the one. The man who will share a kitchen with me. Maybe you sensed the chemistry/food tension when I told you about Marmite Guru Ben this past summer- him, smearing my toast with butter and marmite with me, swooning over his British accent. No? Well, we've fallen in love, decided to take that big step (combining our cutlery and wine glasses under one roof) and he's agreed to help me write a blog about all the lovely food we cook. While Ben and I share with you the union of our kitchens please join us through our culinary adventures, mishaps and panicky moments looking across the kitchen at each other and asking, "Will there be enough food???"


Pictured here is a fish finger sandwich. Those American's out there will know fish fingers as fish sticks (they are the exact same thing- like the name chicken fingers). You can only imagine how many 'tomato-tomato- you've never had this!? i've never had that!' moments we have when discussing our favorite foods. It's fun and exciting to be able to share those foods with someone- especially foods that comforted us as children and now, as hungover adults. I know fish fingers to be accompanied on the same plate with macaroni and cheese from a box, canned vegetables of some sort like peas and carrots or french cut green beans (with generous pats of butter, duh) and splats of ketchup. Ben knows fish fingers to be soaked with salt and vinegar, placed in-between two slices of white bread that has been spread with tar-tar sauce or salad cream and topped with a bit of lettuce. Just like my version can ebb and flow, with elements like gratin potatoes (again from a box), canned peaches or potato chips being substituted for any of the above mentioned, the fish finger sandwich can also have different variations. Ketchup works, a few slices of tomato are nice, or you can be completely naughty and throw in some cheese slices. On this particular day we ate our fish finger sandwiches as following:

makes one sandwich:

4 fish fingers, cooked according to the package, then doused with malt vinegar and salt
2 slices of white bread (I've been instructed white is the only way to go here)
tar-tar sauce liberally spread on each slice of bread
2 leaves lettuce (something crunchy and low in nutrients like ice berg or romaine)

Pile it all together with care and cut into your favorite shapes.....we highly recommend rectangles. They were paired with crisp salads but let's be honest here, what we really wanted were chips/french fries to go with them. I'm sure we made up for our loss in chocolate and crisps later in the day. Moderation is key, and no one knows this better than us.

I must say, I didn't really miss the mac-n-cheese or canned fruit in cling syrup with my fingers/sticks. The sandwich is nice and compact- perfect for stinking up my train carriage in the afternoon. Want to try a fish finger sandwich variation? Let us know! We're very much looking forward to a lifetime of fish finger foolery together and hopefully making you privy to these amazing of gastronomical adventures of ours.


1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm glad that you have a new blog. Fish finger sandwiches? Even I haven't tried that one. Ben, you can take the girl out of Tennessee....

    ReplyDelete